Finding a Student Job with the University
The University of Texas at Austin employs over 10,000 students in a wide variety of student jobs each semester. This page provides some suggestions for finding a student job with the university.
The Hire a Longhorn Job Bank is an outstanding resource for students seeking part-time employment. Many non-academic student positions on campus are posted there, along with off-campus openings. Both Federal Work-Study and non-Work-Study jobs are listed. In addition, many student positions are filled at the departmental level, so we suggest you also check with the department where you’d like to work. The department may list open positions on its Web site or on bulletin boards located near the department’s administrative offices.
Here are links to the employment Web sites of some of the largest employers of students on campus:
- Division of Recreational Sports
- Division of Housing and Food Services
- University Unions
- Sanger Learning and Career Center
- College of Natural Sciences
If you’re a graduate student seeking a student academic position, you should begin looking for specific availability well before the start of the semester by checking with the graduate adviser or graduate coordinator in the department in which you want to work. Check with your home department first. For Graduate Research Assistant positions, you will need to check with individual professors. More information about graduate student academic employment is available from the Graduate School. Job openings in student academic positions also may be listed in the Hire a Longhorn job bank.
Here are some resources to help you locate student employment opportunities with the university.
- Hire a Longhorn - Part-time jobs at UT Austin and local employers for UT Austin students
- Student Financial Services -Work-study and other sources for funding
- Hire Texas: Access UT - Career services database of internships and professional oriented jobs
- Career Services Offices - Jobs and internships related to your major
- Job Vacancies at UT - Full and part-time classified jobs
- UTemps - Temporary jobs at UT
The University of Texas at Austin uses E-Verify to check the work authorization of each employee who works on a federal contract. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
- E-Verify Poster (English)
- E-Verify Poster (Spanish)
- Department of Justice Poster (English)
- Department of Justice Poster (Spanish)